The Austin Country Club was built on the original site, land around City Springs owned by the city, enthusiastically selected as fitting tract for a golf course. George A. Hormel, the first Club president, through many years of dedicated service and interest, was able to see the expansion of the course from a simple 3-hole course expanding to five holes and on July 20, 1920 the shortest 9-hole course in the country was opened for play. This original layout yielded a 3,100 yard par 38 course. There were no bunkers or sand traps and all hazards were natural ones. In playing the course all golfers had to cross the creek between the first and ninth holes five times and strips of rough were between each fairway. The original clubhouse was completed in 1921. This new clubhouse measured 84 by 55 feet with the main room at 52 by 27 feet. There were locker rooms for men and women and a kitchen. At this same time a caddy house was constructed. The grounds included a picnic grounds, children's playground and a pit for trap shooters. The clubhouse was formally opened on August 4, 1921. Arthur West, former St. Paul Phalen Park golfer, was hired as the club professional.
The course was expanded from the original 9 holes to 18 holes in 1953. The course architect was William H. Livie and the construction was under the supervision of the club pro, Bob Carlson. The heavy work of the new 9 holes was completed in the fall of 1952 and with golfers using the new part in 1954 and 1955. On September 20, 1988 members were devastated when a fire destroyed the clubhouse. But within a very short time, committees were formed and new construction began. A fantastic new facility opened in December 1989, only 14 months after the fire, hosting several holiday parties. The full clubhouse was operational in April 1990.
Members of the Austin Country Club have every right to be proud. The beautiful new clubhouse and the many other fine improvements that have been made over the years, have produced one of the finest country clubs in the Midwest.